5 INNOVATIVE CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS
1. TRANSLUCENT WOOD– Researchers from KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm have developed Optically Transparent Wood (TW), created through a process that removes the major chemical ‘lignin’ from wood veneer, making it white.
These translucent panels can be used in windows and facades of buildings to let in sunlight. They can also be used an effective substitute for the surfaces of solar cells,especially while covering large expanses, where the wood’s cheap production would be a benefit
2. COOLING SYSTEM IN BRICKS- Students at the Institute of Advanced Architecture of Catalonia have created a material, combining clay and hydrogel, that has a cooling effect on the interiors of a building. The presence of hydrogel helps it absorb water upto 500 times its weight. The absorbed water causes cooling during hot days because of evaporation.
3. CIGARETTE BUTTS TO MAKE BRICKS– Researchers at RMIT developed lighter and energy efficient bricks out of cigarette butts to reduce their impact on the environment. The energy required to fire them was reduced by 58 percent,effectively solving global environmental issues without any fear of leaching and contamination.
4. BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCED FURNITURE- Beautifully chairs were designed using a material called Mycoform, a combination of mushrooms, wood chips and oat bran and toughened by a fungus called Ganoderma lucidum. It is surrounded by an external skin of bacterial cellulose creting a hard biopolymer suitable for furniture creation.
5. SELFHEALING CONCRETE- Dr. Schlangen at Delft University has created a self healing concrete. A peice of concrete was broken into two and heated in a microwave oven. Once the melted concrete cools, it can be joined together to make a single piece again.
#greenbuilding #architecture #sustainability #greenarchitecture #greendesign #sustainablearchitecture #globalwarmingsolutions #savetheplanet #climatechange #ecofriendly # gogreen #climatestrike